There are some times of the year in which if we do not maintain a good control of the temperature of the home we can end up either frozen or sweating from the heat, or worse, with a large electrical debt, that is why a thermostat is a necessary tool in places where temperature control is necessary.
We investigated the most competitive products on the market and made this buying guide based on the technical details, reviews, and prices of the products, to bring you this article where you can see the best thermostats, learn about them, where to find them and how much you should pay for them.
First most important
- A thermostat is a device capable of regulating the temperature of a room; this is done based on the temperature set by the user. If the temperature is not what the user requests, the thermostat will order the heating equipment to increase or decrease the room temperature until it reaches the desired temperature.
- There are analogue and digital thermostats, the analogues are usually inexpensive and straightforward and have a level knob, the digital ones are made up of a digital display that shows the current temperature, these offer more advantages than the analogues, as they offer more information and are capable of being programmed.
- If you want to have more accurate control of the temperature of your house, try to buy a digital one because you can program it to have better temperature control. Some Smart models will allow you to control the temperature online, so you can change the temperature using your phone or computer.
As you already know, in this type of safety footwear things that go beyond their simple appearance matter, that’s why in this shopping guide we will explain the types of safety shoes that are for sale and their purposes, as well as give you advice on where you can find them and how much you should pay for them.
What are thermostats?
A thermostat is a control device that detects the current temperature, and then gives orders to the heating equipment to increase or decrease the temperature, this is done depending on the temperature settings chosen by a user.
For example, if a person lives in a very cold area, configure the thermostat to maintain a warmer temperature, it will take temperature readings and if the temperature is very cold, it will order the heating equipment to increase the temperature, if the temperature is very hot, it will command you to decrease.
Initially, the thermostats were analogue and only served to regulate the temperature, but with the arrival of digital thermostats, improvements were added that include digital displays, better temperature readings, programming of temperatures by date and time, and control through Applications.
- They allow regulating the temperature in rooms without effort
- It can help to have better control of electricity bills
- Some models are capable of programming by date and time
- They are a very good purchase in places where the temperature varies
- They require a single installation and a minimum maintenance effort
- Maybe an unnecessary purchase in places where the temperature is stable
- Installation usually requires professional help
- Thermostats need to be compatible with already installed heating equipment
- The configuration of the new models can be complicated if you do not have previous experience
Analog, Digital and Smart Thermostats – What should you pay attention to?
The main purpose of a thermostat is to maintain a temperature in the home that is pleasant to us at all times, and thanks to an evolving market there are several types of thermostats with which this can be achieved, all of which offer advantages and disadvantages, ranging from better control to more affordable prices.
All these different types of thermostats will fulfill their purpose, you only have to worry about choosing one that is more comfortable for you to program the temperature that you like the most or that simply best suits your budget, since not all of them need heating systems of high technology.
Analog Thermostat: The simplest of all, it usually consists of a selector knob and switches. Their only function is to maintain a fixed temperature in rooms, so they cannot be programmed to regulate the temperature based on certain hours and days of form.
Today these thermostats are considered outdated and are generally found in older buildings, so they are typically purchased to replace other analog thermostats. They are very cheap thermostats, although they should only be considered to replace other thermostats or in homes where the temperature varies very little.
Digital Thermostat: They are thermostats that have an LCD screen to display information -such as temperature, day and date- and interact with the user. These thermostats can be programmed to function specifically depending on the weather and have more advanced and efficient temperature sensors.
Smart Thermostat: They are the most expensive and advanced thermostats, they usually have touch screens and Wi-Fi connection. These have all the benefits of digital thermostats, but also offer remote settings, compatibility with phone applications and smart home systems.
The ideal thermostat will depend on how important it is to control the temperature, the heating system you have and your budget. If you like a programmable system without spending much, go for a digital one, if you want a thermostat that does everything for you, go for a Smart one, if you want an economic one, go for an analog one.
Purchase criteria: Factors that allow you to compare and qualify the different models of Thermostats.
Since thermostats can be a little complicated to use at first, it is totally normal to be unaware of the main factors that must be taken into account when going out to buy one, so it does not matter if you recently moved to an area Cold and you do not know what to look for, in this section, you will learn everything you need.
- Compatibility and installation
- Remote control
- Additional characteristics
Compatibility and installation
Before buying a thermostat for heating, make sure that the place where it will be installed has all the requirements that these devices need. It is also necessary to know if the heating equipment you have is compatible with the thermostat you want to buy.
For example, some new models of thermostats require a C wire which was not needed by the old thermostats, which can result in additional installation costs for those who want to upgrade their equipment.
It is also a good idea to know what type of voltage the place where you will install your thermostat has, since the voltage requirements of these equipment vary. The thermostat’s voltage type is usually shown in the specifications, so you won’t have to search far to find out if it’s compatible with your home’s electricity.
We recommend hiring a professional installation service, so you can have a complete diagnosis and easy installation, this will undoubtedly entail additional costs, but it is the best long-term option.
Most digital thermostats will allow you to program them to work in a certain way during specific times and dates, which can help you a lot to cut electricity costs, so it is something you cannot miss. Try to get a thermostat that allows programming by hours and days of the week.
For example, if you work until Saturday and leave your house at 6:00 AM and return at 6:00 PM, you can program your thermostat to turn off the heating equipment from 5:50 AM to 5:50 PM, so You can save a little electricity before you leave, during the hours that you are away and you will return home with the temperature you like best.
Digital thermostats do this with simple date and time systems that save your programming, while Smart thermostats can learn your most common habits and program themselves automatically, or they can simply know when you’re at home and when not to command the heating system.
Although it is not necessarily required, a wireless heating thermostat will allow you to change the temperature from the comfort of your bed or sofa, so you will not waste a second of your hours of rest stopping to battle with the temperature of your home. Digital thermostats have different ways of doing this.
Simple digital thermostats may include controls that may or may not have digital displays, if they do, these will include information such as the current temperature and the programmed temperature. With these controls you can control the temperature and turn off the thermostat, but you will need to be close to the thermostat.
A Smart thermostat will be able to connect to a Wi-Fi network to offer information and control on your Smartphone, computer, or any Android and iOS device (Including Apple Watchs!). So it can be used to turn on or off the temperature of your home from anywhere you can connect to the network.
Another advantage of these smart thermostats is that they can be connected to Smart home systems, such as Amazon’s Alexa, so you can order your assistant to tell you the current temperature and then ask him to change it according to your tastes.
Since we cover the most important factors, it is time for you to know what are the factors that, although they are not so decisive, will make your thermostats more versatile and useful devices.
- Voice Activation: Some thermostats can be voice controlled to change the temperature, although it may take a little extra effort to find a Spanish language one. However, those compatible with virtual assistants offer more effective and universal voice controls.
- Proximity sensors: A thermostat with a proximity sensor will offer another level of energy saving, as some models with this feature will only turn on their screen if you are close, and those with Geofencing will turn off and on the heating systems depending on whether or not you are at home.
- Information offered: A simple thermostat will give information on the current temperature, the day and the time, a more advanced one will be able to offer you additional details such as the weather and even humidity levels, although this may be a bit excessive considering that it is most likely is that you see this information on your Smartphone.
- Energy saving: The first reason we buy a thermostat is because of the comfort provided by feeling a perfect temperature, and the second reason is because of the expenses that avoid us.
Some thermostats will save energy by increasing or decreasing the temperature within a range of 2 centigrade, a temperature variation that can be comfortable for the user. Certain models also give savings reports that can be very useful to you.